An incident of fire was reported on Thursday morning from a high rise in Sector 119, Eldeco Aamantran. The house in which the fire reportedly broke out was locked from outside at the time of the incident.
On-duty security guards at the society immediately rushed to the spot after seeing a thick smoke coming from the flat and brought the fire under control after struggle.
According to the residents of the society, the fire broke out around 6 am in flat number 304 on third floor of residential tower S2 in the society. A lighted puja diya left by the owner of the flat before leaving for Jaipur is suspected to have ignited the blaze.
The guards had to break open the window glass in the balcony of the flat to douse the flames. They also informed the fire officials who reached the spot within stipulated time period of 35 minutes. By that time, a sofa set and bed in the house were partly burnt.
After being informed about the incident by some residents, the owner, who was on his way to Jaipur, immediately embarked on a return journey to Noida and was expected to arrive at the time of publishing the report.
Since fire hydrant was locked inside the flat and the key was not available, the residents said, they had no option but to break the glass pane at the time of the incident. Luckily, the glass on fire hydrant door was not shatter proof otherwise it could have hurt the person who broke it.
They further said that finding no pressure in the fire hydrant, someone had to be rushed to basements to start the jockey pump which caused delay in efforts to extinguish the fire. No smoke detection or sprinkler system is installed in the common area. Fire alarm panel is also defunct.
The residents recounted that they had been raising the issue of poor fire and safety facilities with the Noida Industrial Development Authority and the developer, responsible for the society's maintenance. Following their complaints, a meeting was convened by Noida authority on October 22 where the builder was asked to submit a copy of fire NOC and approved fire plan.
They said they were clueless as to how the developer obtained a NOC from the concerned department.
In September 2019, the residents had conducted an audit on their own and submitted observations which stated very clearly that fire protection system was not ready for emergency. Despite that no corrective action has been taken by the builder till date.
They demanded that the concerned authority should initiate an action against the developer.