New Delhi: It’s tough being an adult. Here are some hacks to make it easy. We all have days that play out like the Murphy’s Law. Everything that can go wrong does go wrong, and the result: you are late to work.
It’s okay. Breathe. Relax.
Instead, try one of these tricks and make it look like it never happened. Remember, the secret is to belong, without looking panicky or worked up.
1. Walk in with a coffee mug
Bring one from home if you have to. Leave your office bag elsewhere. The reception is a good place. Make sure to collect it later.
2. Start printing a non-existent document the minute you're in.
Don’t forget to get rid of the jacket and start printing some documents.
3. Waiting for the computer to start up? Lean back on that chair and stare intently.
Use your phone flash to create fake monitor light if the angle is right or make a face like it's not working.
4. Late for a meeting? Start with a question.
This shifts attention from you to the agenda. Just be careful not to ask something too specific. (You don’t want to seem inattentive by asking what’s already been discussed)
5. Are you the type to get late too often?
Own a pair of almost identical blazers. Hang one on your chair all the time to mark your presence.
6. Aggressively respond to emails before getting to work.
Got nothing to respond to? Send one yourself asking for details about a random project.
7. Start pretending you're on an important phone call.
Oh, well when you walk inside the office, just start pretending that you're busy on some phone call.
These tricks work only if you are late by 10 or 15 minutes. If you've missed an entire meeting, we doubt anything but a time machine could save you. Being an adult is tough. What’s tougher is asking for help.
Don’t panic. 'A Jugaadu's Guide to Adulting' will help you keep calm and keep adulting.