DCPCR helpline for child rights receives good response from citizens

Location

DCPCR helpline for child rights receives good response from citizens

As per the DCPCR, 85 per cent of the SOS complaints were responded within 24 hours

DCPCR helpline for child rights receives good response from citizens

New Delhi: Since the launch of all day functional helpline number three months back, the Delhi Commission For Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) has received nearly 4,500 complaints. Out of these, 2,200 were SOS complaints. As per the DCPCR, 85 per cent of the SOS complaints were responded within 24 hours.

The helpline number is 9311551393. On the helpline number, the citizens can register their grievance, share information or seek any information pertaining to rights of children.

According to the officials, the SOS complaints consisted of children/families who were in urgent need for essential supplies such as ration, medical emergencies, cases of abandoned children, covid testing related requirements etc.

A designated team immediately responded to the SOS complaints. They made sure that the complaints are resolved within 24 hours. As per the DCPCR, 85 per cent of the SOS complaints were resolved with 24 hours whereas the other 15 per cent were resolved within 72 hours.

Anurag Kundu, Chairperson, DCPCR said that overall in the last three months, the DCPCR Helpline has enabled the Commission to reach out to more and more children and their families and made the Commission more accessible and brought it closer to the children and their families.

As per the information, the Commission was able to trace more than 2,029 children who have either lost one or both parents due to Covid. Of these, 67 children are those who have lost both their parents whereas 651 children have lost their mother due to Covid and 1,311 have lost their father due to Covid.

The Commission has shared the details of the children with the Department of Women & Child Development for necessary action. They have also ensured the enrolling of the eligible beneficiary in the scheme notified by the Delhi government for children who have lost their parents due to Covid.

Kundu further said, “The launch of helpline is just a humble beginning. It has a long way to go to establish itself as a useful and reliable medium. The current trend of complaints shows that DCPCR has become accessible to ordinary citizens and commands their confidence.”