Dwarka: Open wires coupled with rain a recipe for disaster

Location

Dwarka: Open wires coupled with rain a recipe for disaster

In the neighbourhood parks in the area, you would see naked wires lying on the grass or bushes

Dwarka: Open wires coupled with rain a recipe for disaster

Dwarka: Open electric wires on the ground and open junctions and fuse boxes in parks are a common sight in Dwarka. Now with the rains, such naked open boxes are inviting danger to the visitors. Mainly the children are vulnerable and there is a chance of electrocution.

The boxes on electric poles in MCD park, Sector 10, are lying open with hanging wires that can be a serious risk to both life and property.

Be it DDA parks or the parks of Municipal Corporation or a road, such naked wires can be seen everywhere. People say that they feel at risk while walking after the rain in any park or on the road.

Read | Dwarka: Uprooted trees still to be cleared in Sec 9

In Ghaziabad, an incident took place on Wednesday, due to incessant rains, a wire connected to an electric metre came in contact with the shade. Two children who had gone to buy something from a shop, touched the iron pole supporting the tin shade and died of electrocution.

Three people tried to help them but fell down after receiving a shock themselves. They were rushed to a nearby hospital where doctors declared them brought dead.

Shreya Bhatt, a visitor in the park, said, “This is dangerous for many visitors. open electric boxes are unsafe for people. Authorities should look into this.”

Credit: CitySpidey


When you visit neighbourhood parks in the area, you would see naked wires lying on the grass or bushes at corners where the electric panels or junctions are located. Mostly, such naked wires are not visible due to small size but it can flow current in the wet grass or surface during rain.

PK Mittal, a visitor said, “It is just atrocious how the authorities can turn a blind eye to such negligence. It is a horrible accident just waiting to happen any time. Many sweepers, rag pickers or beggars in the wee hours may get a shock from these live wires.”

Visitors to the parks have also been electrocuted in the past. Pets have also got electric shocks. Though those people were not seriously injured, the incidents created a fear among community people.

Saurabh Tiwari, a morning walker said, “It is plain mismanagement that it is so rampant in the electrical department that they have never cared to repair or put the box in place. I frequently hope that the authorities take heed immediately.”

The negligence and lack of maintenance as well as mismanagement can cause fatalities if not checked. Authorities should take immediate action.