Sky Gardens: Short circuit in the basement leads to fire

Location

Sky Gardens: Short circuit in the basement leads to fire

Residents shared that the cause of the incident was a naked wire and water seepage in the basement

Sky Gardens: Short circuit in the basement leads to fire

Greater Noida: An incident of fire due to a short circuit in the basement of tower 6 or 7 took place in Shri Radha Sky Garden, Sector 16 B Greater Noida on the night of October 2. The fire was controlled by the fire safety team after 45 minutes. Residents shared that the incident  happened at 8.20 pm and the situation became normal after an hour.

They also shared a tweet, 

Residents shared that the cause of the incident was a naked wire and water seepage in the basement. They added that in the aftermath of the fire the lifts were closed and a few senior citizens got injured while being rescued through the stairs. However, fortunately there were no major casualties.

Water seepage and naked wire cause fire

As gathered by residents, every monsoon the water gets logged in the basement of the society. Moreover, there are so many naked wires which are directly connected to the electric cable. Seepage from the pillars of  the basement is a daily activity thus posing a continuous risk.

According to the residents, the incident which happened in the basement of tower 6 and 7 could have led to a major incident.  There could have been any loss of life and property. The basement also lacks a fire fighting system. Senior citizens were injured while rescuing them. Approximately 50-60 families live in both towers.

Residents alleged that the maintenance team tried to cover up the incident due to which the situation became worse. Nobody from the maintenance team reported this incident to the fire station. The fire  safety team came after 45 minutes of the incident. Residents have also  raised the issue that the fire station is in Ecotech which took time to reach the incident place.

Residents emphasized that for the last three years the condition of the basement is pathetic. There is no proper fire safety equipment like  sprinklers or fire extinguishers. They raised a question about how builders could get NOC without all the safety precautions in society.

Gaurav Patel, a resident of the society said, “The residents of the  society are very angry. The condition of the  basement has been pathetic for the last three years. Almost 12 months  have been waterlogged in the basement and the seepage is the daily  activity. Fortunately, all the residents are safe.”

Fire brought under control by fire officer and team

Another resident who wishes to remain anonymous said, “It would not have happened if the builder or its maintenance team took precautions earlier. Society lacks basic fire equipment. The maintenance team  tried to cover up by themselves, they tried to handle the situation by  themselves. If they had contacted the fire station, the condition would have become normal sooner. Residents of the society contacted Ajay Singh, chief fire officer and then he sent his team. If any loss of  life and property happened, who would have been responsible?!”

Ajay Singh, Chief fire Officer said, “The incident happened due to a  short circuit in the wire. We have shared the report to the builder and the maintenance team to fix the problems as soon as possible.”

CitySpidey also tried to contact the maintenance incharge of the  society but there is no response from their side. We will update the story as soon as we get a response.