Confusion and fear followed by a bout of panic. Smoked-filled bedroom, suffocation, loud voices, and smell of burning plastic. The wee hours of November 18, brought with it all this and more for some residents of Golf City Society, Noida.
Simran Rajiv (32) a resident living on the 4th floor of the apartments shares her nightmarish experience. Says she, “It was 4:00 am in the morning and my husband got up to drink water. Suddenly we felt difficulty in breathing. I had a choking feeling. When my husband switched on the lights, we saw that our room was filled with dense smoke. It was so dense that we couldn’t see anything. I panicked and told my husband that something was on fire. We checked our electric appliances but we couldn’t figure out where the smoke was coming from. My husband saw dense white smoke coming out from the shop and going up to the seventh floor of our society.”
She further added, “We called our relatives who lived on the first floor and informed them about the fire. We saw people standing downstairs waiting for the shop owners to come. However, I feel that if you know about the fire, you should immediately open the doors instead of waiting for the owners to do it. My husband rushed to get our relatives' children. By the time he reached, the fire went up to the third floor and I panicked. I took my wallet and laptop bag and rushed downstairs shouting my husband’s name. As soon as we reached the downstairs exit, I was crying and screaming as a lot of our belongings were damaged, including my plants, wall ceilings, AC, and much more. We were feeling so helpless and we were just aggressively asking where the fire brigade was. We had released that it was a major incident of fire where we could not have done much. It was only after 20-25 minutes the fire brigade arrived but the first fire brigade worked for just 10 minutes and emptied out. More brigade vans came later.”
Other residents shared similar harrowing experiences. Kanchan Kumari, a resident living on the 3rd-floor of the building says, “All I can say is that we had a narrow escape. Things could have easily gone worse. A lot of our possessions kept in the balcony got damaged in the fire such as a cycle, chairs, and AC within no time. As it turned out our apartment did not have much in the name of fire security. The smoking censors and water sprinklers failed to work.”
Rajendra Singh, a first-floor resident, narrated his experience. Says he, “We woke up at around 4:30 in the morning and we realized that there was a fire nearby. We went downstairs and found out that the fire was coming from the shop on the ground floor. We came up, took all our essentials, and rushed down. Then the fire immediately spread to the fifth floor. Luckily there was no casualty. All our belongings which were on the balcony melted and were destroyed. There were two ACs, a washing machine, an almirah, and some kitchen utensils on the balcony.”
Walls turned black, plants and other stuff in the balcony got burned, this is what the apartments looked like, post early morning fire at the golf city society@rwsgolfcity11 @advbuyersgroup @manishsmooth @Singh50Uttam @arpbks @jeetsanwar @SGrenowest @rockme26 @Rajiva2011 pic.twitter.com/LeSINMfqsP— CitySpidey (@city_spidey) November 18, 2021