Red Light On Gaadi Off' campaign extended for two more weeks

Location

Red Light On Gaadi Off' campaign extended for two more weeks

Delhi Government has launched the second phase of the 'Red Light on Car Off' campaign

Red Light On Gaadi Off' campaign extended for two more weeks

Delhi: Delhi Government launched the second phase of the 'Red Light on Car Off' campaign on Friday. On this occasion, Gopal Rai, Environment Minister of Delhi, said that the ‘Red Light On Gaadi Off’, which ran for a month since October has been instrumental in reducing vehicular pollution. To further the impact of this campaign, its second phase has been started, which will run from 19th November 2021 to 3rd December 2021, he informed.

He also said that additional measures to tackle vehicular pollution like work from home provisions and banning of trucks entering Delhi have also been imposed by the Delhi Government, which will prove to be successful in curbing pollution in the city.

Credit: Supplied

Launching the second phase of the ‘Red Light On, Gaadi Off’ Campaign at the ITO intersection on Friday, the Environment Minister said, “Various surveys have been collected from all over Delhi. The research and analysis from these show that while 70% of Delhi’s pollution is sourced from outside the city, vehicular pollution is the biggest contributor in the remaining 30% that comes from within Delhi."

Credit: Supplied

He continued, “On an average, a person in Delhi crosses ten to twelve intersections or traffic signals in a day, for which even a rough waiting time of two minutes per intersection amounts to 20-25 minutes of unnecessary fuel burning. This rough figure for the large population of Delhi is a significant contributor to the pollution in our atmosphere. Keeping this in mind, the objective of the 'Red Light On, Gaadi Off' campaign is to prevent people from polluting through their vehicles while waiting at red lights.”

Gopal Rai concluded by saying, “Moreover, some additional measures have been taken by the Delhi Government keeping the increased pollution levels in mind. Work from home provision has been given for officers and other workers in the government, and advisory has also been issued to private companies to follow suit - to cut down on personal travel, and thereby vehicular pollution.”