Noida- Naked, hanging wires, lack of fire equipment pose threat to residents

Location

Noida- Naked, hanging wires, lack of fire equipment pose threat to residents

A short circuit in one of the shops is alleged to have been the cause of the fire

Noida- Naked, hanging wires, lack of fire equipment pose threat to residents

Noida: Fear and uncertainty continue to loom large over the residents of Golf City Society, Sector 75 after the early morning fire incident of November 18,2021. The incident has disturbed the residents living in nearby apartment blocks as well and now they too are pointing fingers and voicing their concern regarding poor fire safety in the apartments.  

A fire broke out in the market of Golf City Society in Sector 75 of Noida city at 4 am due to yet unknown reasons. The fire started engulfing some shops located on the ground floor and then spread up to the fifth floor. A short circuit in one of the shops is alleged to have been the cause of the fire. More than 10 shops in the market suffered fire damage. 

Exposed wires in Golf City Society

Post the November 18 fire incident, dangers of fire and fire safety concern is the talk of the town. Rakesh Kumaria, 65, a resident of Gardenia Gateway Society, plot no.9, Sector 75 Noida, which is just adjacent to the Golf City Society, texted Noida Authority CEO regarding the fire incident. He showed his discomfort at the presence of commercial establishments in the ground floor of the residential apartments. “If these shops are approved then it is to be investigated who and how commercial shops are approved by Noida authority right under the residential flats of a group housing society. Moreover, as per the UP Apartments act/ bylaws, only a limited number of convenient shops are allowed in group housing society then how so many shops are being constructed on the ground? Even in the basements? How do dhabas, restaurants, and eateries come under convenient shops?”

The residents of Gardenia Gateway Society also point out that there is no fire safety equipment installed in tower C and the equipment installed in D, E, and F towers are incomplete and of substandard quality. 

“There is no separate water tank (Ground and overhead) for fire emergencies in any of the towers. No Fire extinguisher was installed on any of the floors of any tower or in the basements. One spark can cause a fire just like it happened in plot no 8 sector-75 on 18th November," says Kumaria.  

Apart from the lack of fire safety equipment, uncovered wires are can be spotted hanging loose in various places in society. Even wire joints lie uncovered which can cause major incidents. Residents feel that these naked wires are an open invitation to an untoward incident.

“If these electric wires are left hanging like this, they can catch fire at any time. Cables should be properly put in their place. There may be a short circuit and a fire may occur”, said B. S. Lavania, 67, resident of the society.

The residents said that they have written multiple letters to the Chief Fire Officer of Noida about the lack of fire safety equipment in society. But no action has been taken as yet. 

City Spidey tried to reach out to the builder but he was not available for comment.