Eye fatigue is a very common problem faced by almost every age group nowadays. This can be the arriving result of extra screen exposure. Eye fatigue is not merely a disease but a symptom through which your body is telling you that some or the other activity you've been doing for a long time without a break is taking a toll on you.
Causes of eye fatigue
Eye strain generally does not indicate a serious disease but it should not be ignored as it can turn into an illness in the long term. Some of the most common causes of eye strain include:
- Over usage of mobile phones, laptops, and televisions.
- Extended reading time of books.
- Inadequate or excessive exposure of lights.
- Driving for long hours.
- Improper sleep
- Wearing the wrong number of glasses.
- Weak eyesight
- An extended period of writing or sewing
Read | Panic attack and anxiety aren't the same!
Symptoms of eye fatigue
- When an individual is facing a strain on their eyes while doing some work it results in eye fatigue. Patients may describe it as swollen eyes, dryness, blur vision, watery eyes.
- Some of the patients also experience double vision, headache, tightness in the area around the forehead and temples. In the worst cases, a person may experience redness, irritation, loss of vision, and painful eyes. Seeking professional help in such a case is very important.
- In certain cases, A person may feel discomfort with pain in the neck and shoulder too while burning eyes and may not be able to open them properly.
How to manage eye strain?
Eye strain can be easily managed with changes in lifestyle and adopting healthy habits. Here are some of the steps one can adopt to preserve eye fatigue:
- Do not work in dim light, use proper lighting around you.
- Use lubricating eye drops to reduce dryness but with a doctor’s prescription. Do not use experimental drops as they may harm your eyes.
- Take breaks while working on screens, reading, or writing.
- Do not sit too close to your television or computers.
- Use blue lens filters and screens which can tilt and swirl.
- Use warm wet and clean clothes on tired eyes or splash water on your eyes.
- Regularly clean your screens and maintain a posture while working
It is important to take care of your eyes to maintain a healthy well-being. Eye strain can be easily cured with proper eye care and by identifying the cause of it. If the symptoms get worse, kindly contact professionals on time.