It was impossible to see in the smoke, but guard douses fire at SPS Residency
It was impossible to see in the smoke, but guard douses fire at SPS Residency
Abid Hussain Barlaskar
It was impossible to see in the smoke, but guard douses fire at SPS Residency
Photo: Openelectrical.org
It was impossible to see in the smoke, but guard douses fire at SPS Residency

Prompt action from security guards saved a flat from being gutted in a fire in SPS Residency, a society in Vaibhav Khand, Indirapuram.

Pradeep Kumar Yadav, the security supervisor of the society, said he was notified of a fire in Flat E 100 on the first floor by guards at 6.15 pm on October 2. The blaze was caused by a short circuit in the air-conditioner.

Owner BS Bhatia, who spotted the fire, was alone in the flat at the time of the incident. He tried to douse the flames, but things got out of control when the plastic in the AC started to melt and the fire spread to the TV table under it.

Yadav, who has been trained in firefighting by his agency, rushed to the spot and brought the flames under control with fire extinguishers. "It was difficult to locate the fire, as the entire flat had been filled with smoke, and I could hardly see. I had to use three 5 kg cylinders to put out the fire," he recalled.

SK Kakroo, AOA president, lauded Yadav's promptness. "We had informed the firefighting department, but Yadav put out the fire before the fire engine reached the society. It was indeed because of him that too much damage was not caused to property inside," he said. Ajay Kumar Sharma, fire station officer of Vaishali fire station, agreed. "The residents did alert the department of a fire, but by the time we reached, it had already been extinguished," he said. 

On being asked about how ready the society was to handle a major fire incident, Kakroo said that though the builder hadn't really provided a proper system, the AOA — with the support of residents — conducted fire drills every year, and kept checking the firefighting equipment from time to time. "We test the extinguishers and the hoses and conduct drills with the residents and the security guards every year," he said.

 

Flat No E 100 at SPS Residency

Also Read