Dwarka: A city of blatant advertisement
Welcome To CitySpidey


Dwarka: A city of blatant advertisement

Residents say political and commercial posters have marred the urban landscape. Can SDMC and the police please pull up their socks?

Dwarka: A city of blatant advertisement Posters at Ashirvad Chowk, Dwarka

Dwarka is turning into a city of banners and posters. At every turn there is some political or commercial banner screaming for attention, say residents. 

And it's the same story everywhere — be it Ashirvad Chowk, KM Chowk, Ramphal Chowk or the market areas of sectors 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 and 12.

Residents and activists decided to raise the issue at a recent meeting with Sanjeev Kumar, deputy commissioner of Najafgarh Zone.

AS Chatwal, vice-president of Dwarka Forum and a resident of Sector 8, told City Spidey, “Anti-defacement laws are being violated. SDMC staff are doing what they can but there are new posters on walls and pillars almost every day. Political posters are more common these days.”

“As per the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property Act, 2007, sticking posters and banners or writing on public walls is prohibited. It is a cognisable offence and the penalty under the Act is up to Rs 50,000 or jail up to one year, or both,” said Ashok Chaitanya, a resident of Shubham Apartments, Sector 12.

Anoop Rohera, a resident of Jaypee CGHS, Sector 22, said, “These days those with political ambitions or those related to municipal corporations can be seen in posters and banners. Then there are the advertisements. The corporation needs to pull up its socks and put an end to this.”

Whether it is a government building or a private one, without permission from the civic authority, one cannot display any information in public. An SDMC official, on condition of anonymity, told City Spidey, “We always carry drives to remove banners and posters. We also file an FIR if there is a complaint. But the police should also keep an eye out for these as they are in the city round the clock.”

Advocate PS Singh, a resident of Rajasthan Apartments, Sector 4, said that an FIR can be lodged against violators whenever there is a complaint. “The police can take action without going to court,” he added.