Where will Ghaziabad get its water from this summer?
Welcome To CitySpidey


Where will Ghaziabad get its water from this summer?

GDA has asked AOAs of the area to seek permission from Central Ground Water Authority before extracting groundwater, else their borewells will be sealed.

Where will Ghaziabad get its water from this summer?

Ghaziabad Development Authority (GDA) has started issuing orders to AOAs in the city, asking them to seek permissions from Central Ground Water Authority (CGWA) before extracting groundwater. In case a society fails to do so, their borewells will be sealed by CGWA.

GDA's order is based on a recent directive by National Green Tribunal (NGT), according to which CGWA is to seal all borewells and illegal groundwater extraction in Ghaziabad.

GDA's notice has left residents and AOA members worried. Most societies rely on groundwater for their daily requirement.

SK Kakroo, general secretary of SPS Residency, a society in Indirapuram, told City Spidey, “We don’t know what to do now. We do not get sufficient Ganga jal supply. Maybe we will apply for permission in the coming days, but what do we do till then?” Kakroo added.

Ajay Sood, general secretary of GC Grand, another society which has received GDA's notice, echoed similar sentiments as Kakroo. Sood said that his AOA had no clue about how to fulfil the requirement of water. “I got to know that several other societies have been issued letters in this regard. Maybe we will apply for permissions soon,” he added.

Speaking to City Spidey, Dayanand Prasad, OSD of GDA, said such notices were being issued to societies in Indirapuram and individual ownerships all over Ghaziabad. “We have been further ordered by the district magistrate to identify the locations where groundwater is being extracted. We have issued notices to those concerned about getting permission for borewells, else these will be sealed,” added Prasad.

On being asked about the kind of action that will be initiated in case of a violation, Prasad said the Authority will not take action on the issue, but will send a report to CGWA to act on it.