CHRONOLOGY: From August 1-8, here's how the Armaan Sehgal case has unfolded
Welcome To CitySpidey


CHRONOLOGY: From August 1-8, here's how the Armaan Sehgal case has unfolded

Armaan Sehgal's parents have received just a series of assurances since the day their son died, but no real help from the authorities. 

CHRONOLOGY: From August 1-8, here's how the Armaan Sehgal case has unfolded Armaan's parents and relatives on a dharna in front of the school today

Speaking to City Spidey, Gulshan Malhotra, Armaan Sehgal's father, gave us the lowdown on developments that took place since the mysterious death of his son, a GD Goenka student, on August 1. Malhotra said all that the family had received till now were assurances, with little delivery of justice on the ground.

City Spidey, prepared a chronological list of the developments that occurred since August 1.

Tuesday, August 1: Following Armaan’s death, his parents meet Preety Jaiswal, additional district magistrate (ADM), and demand a thorough investigation of the spot, following which the ADM finds a series of discrepancies in the school’s medical room. The parents are assured that a detailed investigation will follow.

Wednesday, August 2: Armaan’s body is cremated and the grieving family leaves for Haridwar with the ashes. The post-mortem report of the boy reveals that he had injuries on his face and the back of his head. It is confirmed that the boy died of head injuries. The forensics team of Ghaziabad police reaches the school and collects samples late in the afternoon.

Thursday, August 3: The parents meet Ministhy S, the district magistrate (DM), and Preety Jaiswal, additional district magistrate (ADM), and demand arrests and justice. They get assurances in response. The parents go ahead and meet Atul Garg, Minister of State, with a demand to open the school and make the premises accessible to the parents. The school is opened later in the afternoon in the presence of Sunil Sharma, MLA, police officials and the ADM City. The forensics team takes samples for the second time. The minister and the MLA assure the family of justice and immediate arrest of the accused.

Friday, August 4: The parents meet Hari Naryan Singh, SSP, Ghaziabad, to demand justice and the immediate arrest of the school officials. The SSP asks for two days' time and assures them of a crackdown by Monday. Family members accompanied by parents and society residents conduct a candle march from their Vaishali residence to GD Goenka Public School in Indirapuram.

Saturday, August 5: Parents move from pillar to post to get the accused arrested and end up waiting at the Indirapuram police station at night with a request to raid the known addresses of Ankur Malhotra, the school’s chairman, and other school officials. They are assured of action.

Sunday, August 6: Ghaziabad police raids Ankur Malhotra's Lakhsmi Nagar residence in the wee hours of the day but fail to arrest him, as he is found to be absconding. Parents are once again assured that they will be arrested soon. Parents now call it an eyewash and say that the school and the top police officials of the city are hand in glove. Parents speak to senior police officials of the state and get more assurances.

Monday, August 7: Parents raise demands for a CBI probe into the incident and plan to sit for a protest in front of the school.

Tuesday, August 8: The school is supposed to reopen today but remains closed “considering security of the students and the staff”. Parents get in touch with leaders of opposition parties from Ghaziabad at their protest in front of the school, who tell them to approach the city police once again and raise demands for a CBI probe. Rajesh Yadav, ADM (finance and revenue), in-charge of the district administration’s probe into the incident, is supposed to have conducted an inquiry at the school today. Speaking to City Spidey, Yadav says the inquiry could not be conducted as the school was closed. The district administration had earlier floated a request to witnesses to approach them with information until August 11. However, Yadav says nobody has turned up yet.