The incident has triggered a wave of panic in Palam Vihar’s sectors 22 and 23, which have drooping electricity wires.
While a young girl has lost her life, six other children have sustained severe burn injuries in a fire that was caused by an electrical short circuit in Gurgaon’s Sector 56. This incident has alarmed the entire sector about the repercussions of low-lying electric wires.
The people of Palam Vihar’s sectors 22 and 23 are a particularly worried lot now, as these sectors have been contending with drooping wires from electric poles for quite some time.
According to the residents of Palam Vihar, DHVBN has been apprised of the danger. However, they have not taken any remedial measures. Incidentally, electric wires in both these sectors of Palam Vihar are just four to five feet above ground level.
“This is a dangerous height, as children who play on the streets can easily come into contact with open wires. In fact, even adults can brush past these low-hanging wires,” said a resident.
The transformers, too, are dilapidated. “Moreover, the wires are open, and with the monsoons the chances of short circuit increases,” said Ajay Mehra, a resident of Sector 22.
Commuters in sectors 22 and 23 of Palam Vihar also have to face the danger of wires that are tied to poles. Furthermore, the transformers that have undergone repair work are lying open.
“It is not possible to keep cautioning our children constantly. If the wires are at a height they can access, dangers are always just a touch away,” said Kritika Luthra, a resident of Sector 23.
City Spidey approached DHVBN about the issue. KC Aggarwal, SE (superintending engineer), said, “There is no such issue reported from Palam Vihar. If the residents allege they have complained before, they should show us proof that we have received their complaints. In case an issue is reported, we shall definitely take it up.”