Gurgaon, Sector 23A: Toxic fumes spell breathing trouble for residents
Gurgaon, Sector 23A: Toxic fumes spell breathing trouble for residents
Reena Dhankher
Gurgaon, Sector 23A: Toxic fumes spell breathing trouble for residents
Photo: Jhr.ca
Gurgaon, Sector 23A: Toxic fumes spell breathing trouble for residents

Thick smoke emanating from a burning garbage dump had nearly 10,000 residents of Sector 23A completely chocked on Friday evening. On inspection, it was found that some unscrupulous elements set fire to the garbage dump, located near The NorthCap University, or NCU. This dump had significant quantities of plastic that burnt and released toxic fumes causing breathing problems for the residents.

A six-acre vacant plot near the university has turned into a dumping ground for garbage in the locality. “Initially, we thought it was dust and pollution, but then we saw this fire near our house and it was unbearable. I had to use an inhaler since I am an asthmatic patient,” said Rajni Sehrawat, a resident of the sector.

Another resident Rajeev Dayal added, “The smoke was hurting our eyes and we all were constantly coughing. We closed all windows and doors and switched on the AC.”

The Municipal Corporation of Gurugram, in the meantime, will challan the culprits and a new dumping site will soon be identified.