The arrival of summer has been cruel for residents of East Delhi as long power outages have added to the misery brought on by the soaring mercury. Inhabitants of Krishna Nagar, Preet Vihar, Gandhi Nagar, Mayur Vihar Phase-3, etc complained that normal life has been disrupted by power cuts of three to five hours on a daily basis since the last five days.
Shripal Singh, a resident of Mayur Vihar Phase 3, told City Spidey that the area had been receiving inadequate power supply since the last three days.
The Delhi government had announced its Summer Action Plan 2018 on April 8, while proudly claiming that the city’s power discoms were prepared to offer adequate electricity to the citizens in this season.
During the last summer, Delhi had witnessed an all time peak demand of power of 6526 MW on June 6.
Delhi power minister Satyender Jain informed the press that power demands in the city might peak up to 7000 MW this summer. Further, he assured that the government had asked discoms to be prepared to meet power demands up to 8000 MW.
However, the reality is completely opposite as complaints of power cuts have started coming across the city a week after the announcement.
Talking to City Spidey, East Delhi RWA president B S Vohra said, “It is surprising that power cuts have started in the beginning of the summer. However, it is not late yet; the government can improve the infrastructure and provide better services.”