GreNo: Diesel Generator catches fireÂ in Palm Olympia society
A major mishap was averted after a diesel generator (DG), installed for power backup in Palm Olympia society in Greater Noida, caught fire on Thursday morning.
As per the reports, the security guards on duty first noticed thick black smoke coming out from the DG, which suddenly turned into fire. Immediately, the guards raised an alarm and alerted the residents as well as the management of the society. Soon, the fire department was also informed about the incident.
Meanwhile, the residents along with security guards and others joined hands to douse the fire. Residents alleged that the fire brigade reached the spot around 40 minutes after they were informed about the incident.
Shesh Nath, a senior official with the fire department in Greater Noida told CitySpidey that the fire brigade was immediately sent after the news of the fire was received. "A fire tender was sent immediately. When it reached Kishan Chowk and enquired about the current situation, they were told that the fire was doused. Hence, it returned. Later, a call was received again, after which the fire tender was rushed to the spot. This is why it got delayed," said Nath while explaining the situation.
Nath further said that a short circuit was the reason behind the fire. "Fire broke out due to short circuit in DG set," he said.
On the other hand, the residents blamed the management for loopholes in the fire safety systems. "Residents had conducted an audit via a private firm. During the audit, several loopholes were found, which were later presented before the management, but no action was taken on it," said a resident.