New Delhi: Several people throng Laxmi Nagar market for shopping, yet the market is not properly equipped with fire safety measures. CitySpidey inspected a 3 km stretch of the market and found that it lacks fire safety measures.
While inspecting we found three fire hydrants, but none was working. One of the fire boxes was used by beggers to keep their clothes, while other was used for open urination.
The situation in the market is worse than last year when inspection was done after a massive fire incident took place in Surat.
Wires hang from electric poles which can make people prone to electrocution. The area is flooded with coaching centres which hang their advertisement boards on wires which is unsafe.
Dr. Anjeli Qwatra, disaster management expert, said “Short circuit is main cause of fire. Open wires are risky too. Panel boxes should be covered before any untoward incident takes place.”
Rakesh, a shopkeeper, said, “Authority comes once in a blue moon to inspect. More than 80 per cent shopkeepers don't have fire NOC for their shops.”