Do you have these symptoms of lung cancer?
For the uninitiated, cancer is a form of mutation i.e., abnormal growth of cells that can grow out of control very rapidly.
Lung cancer is the type of cancer that starts in the lungs, typically in the lining of bronchi and other parts of the lungs such as bronchioles or alveoli.
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Treatment (NSCLC): Non-small cell lung cancer is a group of lung cancers that behave similarly, such as squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. It’s one of two major types of lung cancer that can affect both smokers and non-smokers.
- Small Cell Lung Cancer Treatment (SCLCT): This form of cancer is most commonly found in smokers that grows aggressively through the bronchi (breathing tubes) and creates large tumors throughout the body.
- Childhood Pleuropulmonary Blastoma Treatment (CPBT): Pleuropulmonary blastoma is a type of childhood lung cancer that forms in the tissues of the lung and pleura or the organs between the lungs, aorta, and pulmonary artery, or in the diaphragm (the main breathing muscle below the lungs).
- Childhood Tracheobronchial Tumors Treatment (CTTT): Tracheobronchial tumor is a type of childhood lung cancer that forms in the lining of the trachea and bronchi.
Persistent cough: a persistent cough may be a sign of viral infection, bronchitis or asthma but if it keeps coming back consult your GP or an oncologist.
If you’re coughing up blood you may want to immediately consult a doctor as it may be a sign of other types of cancer (not necessarily lung cancer).
- Chest pain or bone pain
- Blocked or stuffy nose
- Unexplained loss of weight. Are you losing weight without even trying?
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling weak or tired
- Bronchitis, pneumonia or other infections that are recurring in nature
- Smoking tobacco or nicotine can increase the risk of lung cancer drastically
- Genetics/inherited cancer
- Second-hand smoking is a leading cause of cancer as well
- Inhaling chemicals or radioactive ores
- Workers in mills, mines, textile plants, places that use insulation, or shipyards are more prone to lung cancer
- Sputum cytology
- Tissue sample (biopsy)
- Avoid smoking and second-hand smoking
- Passive smoking is just as harmful
- Avoid radon exposure: radon gas occurs naturally in nature, it emits from the breakdown of uranium from rocks and soil in the ground. Get your house tested for the same!
- Avoid second-hand smoking
- Avoid or limit exposure to cancer causing agents such as radioactive ores or uranium
- Avoid inhaling chemicals or diesel exhaust
- Radiation therapy
- Targeted therapy (as suggested by your oncologist)
Where to go for help?
Here's the list of top 5 NGOs for lung cancer in Delhi NCR
- Indian Cancer Society
- Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute & Research Centre
- Cancer Healer Center
- Charutar Arogya Mandal
- St. Jude India’s Child Care Centre