Noida: A major causality was averted with alertness of residents and on duty guards on Friday morning as the fire broke out at a flat on the 14th floor of a residential tower in Apex Athena, a high rise in Sector 75, Noida.
It broke out around 7:30 am when the family was about to leave the bed. “The fire was caused due to short-circuit in winter heater,” a resident said.
The blaze was so intensive that entire electronic gadgets, clothes, beds and domestic materials worth lakhs of rupees turned into ashes before the fire was doused.
According to residents, who immediately came forward to douse the fire said that owner of the house and his family were inside the home when it broke out in the morning. The fire was such magnitude that entire home was filled with thick cover of smoke within few minutes of the fire.
The residents said that they along with the security guards managed to take the family out of the flat. During this, the owners and guards rescuing them received burn injuries.
Residents complained that they brought water from nearby flats as the installed fire fighting equipment in the society was not functional. They complained that apart from the fire fighting equipment, the smoke detector alarm also did not ring while the fire broke out.
Some of the residents had made phone calls to local police to inform about the incident but the calls were automatically diverted to the help centre of Delhi Police. After several rounds of calls, they got the number of local police and quickly informed about the incident.
They said that the local fire service officials also reached the site almost an hour late after they were given information about the accident. By the time fire brigade reached the society, the fire was doused at the flat.