SPIDEY BUZZ

New Gurgaon residents to go on hunger strike from Aug 22

Picture used for representative purpose only.
By Anil Manchanda
Photo: Clipartpanda.com
Posted: Aug 21, 2016

Unsatisfied with the services of developers, residents from about 15 RWAs in New Gurgaon have decided to go on an indefinite hunger strike from August 22 demanding an early takeover of the societies by the Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon.

Besides poor services, residents also cite the fact that they have to pay maintenance charge to the developers and property tax to the MCG.

The Haryana government had approved the transfer of five upscale private colonies to the city’s municipal corporation in February this year. The corporation was made responsible for the maintenance of 2,872.40 acres developed by private builders. Manohar Lal Khattar, Haryana chief minister, approved the transfer of DLF phases 1 to 3, Palam Vihar and Sushant Lok Phase 1 to the Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon. These five colonies were among the first to be developed by private builders in Gurgaon and were launched in the early 1980s.

On August 11, a delegation of 50 representatives from various RWAs, including that of DLF Phase I to IV, Sushant Lok I and II, South City, Suncity and Ardee City, met TL Satyaprakash, deputy commissioner, and submitted a memorandum.

Speaking about the memorandum, RS Rathee, president of Gurgaon Citizens Council said, "The memorandum was a request to the CM, who had earlier promised the takeover of these private colonies by first week of August, through the deputy commissioner. The orders dated February 8, 2016, were given by the CM to the director general of town and country planning."

Rupali Saxena, a resident of DLF Phase 2, said, "We have been living at the mercy of the developer for the last 20 years. This is an opportunity for us to get our issues resolved. After the chief minister ordered MCG to take over the colony, we heaved a sigh of relief. But nothing is being done on the ground. It seems that the takeover will remain a dream if we keep sitting quietly over the issue."

Ravi Gautam, a resident of Block C, Sushant Lok I, said, "There is an urgent need to fix various civic issues in our area. The developer has been taking advantage of the fact that the authorities haven’t taken over yet."

After receiving the memorandum, Satyaprakash held a meeting with representatives of builders, including Ansal API, DLF, Ansal Buildwell Ltd. The companies were asked to provide data, including lengths of roads, water supply, drainage, sewage and water treatment plants, and layout plans of the colonies to the MCG as soon as possible. The data would be used to estimate the process for the takeover.  

According to some MCG officials, the corporation would first take over Sushant Lok I, II and III, DLF Phase III and Palam Vihar. The process would be completed in the coming two weeks.

TAGS: New Gurgaon / MCG / DLF Phase I / Sushant Lok I / South City / Suncity / Ardee City / TL Satyaprakash / Manohar Lal Khattar / Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon / R.S Rathee / Ansal API / DLF / Ansal Buildwell

ALSO READ

COMMENT