Greater Noida: A major accident took place in Greater Noida West on Tuesday in Supertech Ecovillage 2. While playing, two children Sidharth A. Sinha (12) and Abheek Shekhar (10) fell down from the 9th floor of the B6 tower straight into the basement. Both the kids were immediately admitted to Kailash Hospital and are admitted in the ICU. The accident has caused severe head injuries to both the kids while one of the kids has also suffered a serious spinal injury.
Sidharth A. Kumar is a resident of Supertech Ecovillage 2 and Abheek Shekhar is resident of Galaxy Vega. Both of the kids are cousins and study at St. Xavier's school, GrenoWest.
The incident has left residents of both the societies terrified.
Amit Kumar Sinha, father of Sidharth says, "Some wires are hanging in the shaft. Both the children tried to grab these wires while falling. That slowed down the speed with which the kids were falling. Had the wires not been there, there could have been casualties."
He continues, “Both of the kids are so close that even in ICU, they are continuously asking about each other.”
As per the latest update shared by Rahul Garg, Vice President, NEFOWA says, “Abheek will be shifted to general room tomorrow, as his condition is improving. Siddhartha has a lot of internal injuries and his clotting is increasing, yesterday it was 3mm and today it is 6mm. Doctors are saying to keep him under observation for 24 hours, if the child remains unconscious, he will be operated and the clot will be removed."
While CitySpidey visited the site, there was blood of children on the basement. As gathered, there was a bent plywood lying there, due to which they didn't fall directly.
Jyoti Jaiswal, Vice President, of NEFOWA and resident of Supertech ecovillage2 says, “There is no security here. How did these two kids fell while playing? We are not only scared but we are also upset equally. While marketing to sell these flats, Supertech builders promoted it as ‘Le lo roti kapda aur makan’ but today I want to add ‘ur badale mein de do rupaya paisa aur apni jaan’."
She further says, "The condition of other flats and lobbies are much better, but this b6 tower is in the worst situation".
As told by residents, in B6 tower, from where the kids fell, there are under construction flats which do not even have any door. They are all open, even the balconies are open and anyone can fall from there. Apart from that, there is a open big shaft at the end of the lobby.
On the construction quality, Amit Kumar Sinha, father of one of the victims says, “The construction quality is very pathetic. No one ever reaches to do any inspection. The electrical shaft is covered with light cardboard, which can be broken with just a punch. Imagine what will happen if society catches fire.
A resident, on the condition of anonymity, tells us, “When the kids fell, they were shouting to call for help. The security guard present there ran away and one lady who heard the screams opened her floor’s shaft area and reached downstairs. She helped them. When the project manager Manas Pradhan got to know about this, he fled away from the scene. He should have helped everyone, but instead he ran away."
Mazhar Ali, Cluster head of maintenance operations of Supertech builder, tells us, “The sheets were ACP sheets, Aluminium composite panel sheets. The 14 year old kid is not a small child, he should have been careful while playing. Why did people had to go in that shaft? These shafts are not for playing. They are for fire safety.”
He further says, "We are with the families. The members of the maintenance team were present with the victim families at the hospital as well. We have taken full responsibility to bear the cost of the treatment of the kids." When enquired about the security staff running away as alleged by the residents, he showed a video in which the security guards were holding both the kids and were running to save their life.
Sumit Kumar Yadav, Sub Inspector, Cherry county chowki says, “The health of both the kids is fine. They are saved which is nothing short of a miracle. Abheek was talking at the time when we were there. The maintenance department was also present there and took responsibility of the treatment charges. We are investigating this matter. We visited the site and saw the bad quality shafts and the low-quality fittings which are not safe for anyone.”
He continues, “After this incident, we have given notice to every society in GreNo West, to check whether the CCTV are working or not and all other necessary instructions have been given.”