Panic gripped Gaur Green Apartments in Indirapuram, Ghaziabad, when fire gutted a flat on the ninth floor of the society on Thursday. The flat, B-903, belonged to Sharib Rizvi. His wife, Shaila, was home alone when the fire broke out around 4 pm.
Firefighters took about 55 minutes to bring the blaze under control. The Fire Department had deployed three fire tenders to douse the flames. Though no causality was reported, the damage caused to the property is estimated to be Rs 4 lakh.
Short circuit in the electric cables connected to the air-conditioner is said to have caused the fire.
Fire officer Ajay Kumar Sharma told City Spidey that if the pressure in the firefighting pipes were not low, the blaze could have been brought under control sooner.
The building where the fire broke out