Electrical department does not seem serious enough to tackle the issue of open wires and fuse boxes across Dwarka. Hundreds of such open fuse boxes and naked wires can be seen all across Dwarka. In rainy season such boxes have become dangerous as there is a high risk of getting an electric shock from these.
Recently, in an accident, a person received a, thankfully, minor jolt because of one such fuse box. Ashok Kumar, a resident of Sector 11, was walking down the lane in Sector 10 and accidentally touched a box on the footpath and received the shock.
On the other hand, in the neighbourhood parks and play areas, naked wires and open main supply junctions can be seen. Geeta Verma, a resident of Sector 12, said, “Everybody knows that there are wires in the open which are dangerous in rain. But despite knowing this, the authorities always do temporary fixes and that too in a very casual way. When will they realise the seriousness of the issue?”
Recently in view of waterlogging and such naked wires in Sector 8, BSES cut the power of the whole sector. Recently, four boys got caught in an electric shock mishap in Sector 7 near Ramphal Chowk and one of the boys died as a result. In order to avoid the waterlogging in the area, he was trying to cross the road by holding an iron board through which live current was passing froma nearby electric pole.
Residents are demanding that the agencies ensure a safe and secure environment in the rain and cover all such naked wires and boxes properly. President of FORWAS (Federation of RWAs of Sector 9), KS Bhati, said, “It is the whole and sole responsibility of the civic bodies to perfect the electric systems and ensure the safety of the community. They must take this matter seriously and take necessary action on immediate basis.”