Crossings Republik: 2 makeshift huts gutted in fire; law and order fails
This was the scene near the police post of Crossings Republik where two makeshift huts gutted in fire on Friday around 2 pm. Luckily, no casualties were reported. Though the exact reason behind the incident was unknown but the fire reportedly erupted from a cigarette.
Sensing the urgency to contain it, people of neighbouring Dundahera village called fire station for help but viewing the delay, they arranged a water tanker themselves and doused the flames.
When City Spidey asked one of the locals what prompted them to take such a decision, he said, “Had we not done that, the fire could have spread to other shops operated nearby as well.”
For the uninitiated, the spot is surrounded by a country-made liquor store and a few automobile repair shops. Locals and workers of a nearby automobile repair shop told City Spidey the huts were regularly used by the people who were regular drinkers. Even today, a person was there before the incident. He had left the cigarette lit which led the fire, an eyewitness said.
Besides, this has happened when a police post is situated barely 200 meters away from the spot. Residents of Crossings Republik said the open drinking in those huts has posed a vulnerable situation for the residents.
“Women cannot pass through that area after dark,” said Sanjay Jha, Secretary of Gaur Global Village’s AOA, a condominium in Crossings Republik.
However, incharge of Crossings Republik’s police post admitted that people gather there to drink but said that police regularly drive them off.
Meanwhile, workers at shops in the vicinity questioned police’s claim. “How come people gather everyday to drink if police regularly drive them off. Are they not scared of them,” a worker asked on the condition of anonymity.
The incident has raised questions on the poor law and order situation prevailing in the area. Moreover, there is an urgent need of a fire station in the township as well.