The neutral football fans, who always love to see an encounter between Brazil and Argentina, both arch-rivals and traditional football powerhouse, will have to wait. Brazil’s friendly match against Argentina which was set for June 11, 2022 in Melbourne, Australia has been canceled. Brazil and Argentina lost their appeals to FIFA on Monday and will have to play the World Cup Qualifying game that was abandoned last year in Sao Paulo amid chaos on the field caused By pandemic rule breaches.
The game was planned as a part of Brazil’s preparations for 2022 FIFA World Cup, however, Brazilian Football Confederation coordinator Juninho Paulista stated on June 8, 2022 that their Argentinian opposition called it off.
Argentina Football Federation did not make public comments on the issue. Brazil has already played friendlies against South Korea and Japan in Asia on June 2 and 6, respectively, and now will seek an African opponent for the June 11 slot.
However, the latest FIFA ruling means Brazil and Argentina will surely play their essentially meaningless 18th qualifying game, possibly in September 2022. They were able to avoid this match earlier on September 5, 2021, but to avoid it again they will have to make an official appeal to FIFA.
Following the cancellation of the last Brazil-Argentina match, FIFA did fine the two teams but then reduced the fine amount. Brazil now has been ordered to pay 250,000 Swiss francs ($251,000) for “infringements related to order and security” for the game. Argentina has now been fined 100,000 Swiss francs ($100,500) for “obligations in relation to the preparation of and its participation in the match.” They will also have to pay an additional fine of 50,000 Swiss francs ($50,250) for the match being abandoned.
Victorian sports minister Martin Pakula says the Australian government is “pretty pissed off” with Argentina dishounoring its contract to play Brazil in a friendly at the MCG in June. Said he, “I think they owe Australian football fans an explanation.”