A 90-year-old man was charred to death in Gurgaon’s upscale Vatika city on Sohna road when a fire broke out in his flat on Monday morning.
The victim, Phool Singh, was sleeping when the fire broke out. According to Birbal Singh, fire officer, Gurgaon, “The fire started probably from ‘Akhand Jyot,’ a prayer lamp used in Navratra, kept in a room adjacent to Singh’s room. The fire spread to his room and he died probably of asphyxiation.” He added that other family members in the flat were sleeping when the fire spread. “The deceased was spotted by his domestic help around 5 am,” he said.
The city police has initiated proceedings under IPC section 174. The postmortem was conducted on Monday and the body has been handed over to the victim’s family.