New Delhi: Shivaji Jayanti is just around the corner. It is celebrated every year on February 19. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was a great warrior and a progressive leader in Indian history. Also known as the father of Indian Navy, he is one of the most talked about and celebrated Indian rulers. His tales of bravery are innumerable and there has always been controversies around him even today.
Here are some unknown and interesting facts about Chhatrapati Shivaji that you ought to know:
- Shivaji was secular and was very accepting of all faiths and religions. He was often misunderstood to be an anti-secular which is debatable as his royal army of 1.5 lakhs consisted of more than 50 per cent Muslims.
- His name is not derived from Lord Shiva. Yes, that is true. Instead, his name was derived from a regional deity named Shivai.
- He devised numerous strategies and tactics to protect his kingdom. He is one of the finest warriors and war strategists that India has ever seen and even knew the tactics of guerilla warfare.
- He offered help to Aurangzeb to conquer Bijapur but things backfired when two of his officers raided the Mughal territory near Ahmednagar.
- He stood for the honour of women and under his rule, there were strict instructions of not capturing and hurting women or taking them as prisoners. Rapists or molesters were severely punished.
- He was very merciful towards those who surrendered and judged people only on their skills and not on their backgrounds.
- He put India first than his kingdom. He motivated his troops to fight for India and not for a particular king as his aim was to establish a free state.
- He respected the religious sentiments of all people and never attacked any religious site or sculptures. He even gave protection to mosques
This Shivaji Jayanti, let us all remember the greatness of this benevolent ruler, who was a man of great power, honour and was a true king in all senses.