In the summers, Watermelon is best to quench thirst because of its rich water component. As the summers fade away and winters arrive, a lot of people stop consuming watermelon. However, true watermelon lovers still have it on their list.
It's all about finding creative ways to eat the same fruit in different ways during different seasons. Eating watermelon does not just mean keeping yourself hydrated. The fruit is full of beneficial compounds like fiber, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin A and a lot more. So watermelon lovers, are you ready to know 5 exciting ways of consuming watermelon during winters? We are certain that it's a yes and even if it's not, read ahead to change your mind.
1. Drink it: When you do not feel like eating watermelon, you can just switch on your mixer and make a smoothie of it. Having smoothies is just another great idea to pack many ingredients together in one glass. Try watermelon smoothies in winters topped with healthy sunflower seeds. You can also experiment by adding different winter fruits like oranges and grapes.
Here is a recipe for a refreshing watermelon smoothie:
3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1 cup frozen strawberries
½ cup yogurt (optional)
½ cup almond milk (or other milk of choice)
Also read | Winter foods to boost your immunity
Add the watermelon, strawberries, yogurt, and milk to a power blender, and blend it until smooth.
Pour into a glass, and enjoy!
2. Dig into Salads: Salads are forever desirable and never off-season. Making a fruit salad for yourself with Watermelon as the main component is a brilliant idea. You can cut the watermelon into cubes, mix with other fruits, refrigerate it and enjoy. Try out watermelon feta salad, here's how you can make it.
6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
8 ounces feta cheese
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- Take a large bowl and add watermelon cubes to it.
- Prepare the dressing by stirring together extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and mint leaves in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the watermelon and mix everything well.
- Transfer the salad to the serving plate and top with crumbled feta. Serve with a smile.
3. Bite the sandwich: To make your sandwiches tastier and juicy, adding a slice of watermelon is yet another creative idea to make your plate healthier and tastier. Try grilled cheese, watermelon sandwiches.
4 slices watermelon,
8 slices whole-grain bread
2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
6 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided into 4 equal portions.
- Place watermelon pieces between paper towels to absorb extra fluid and keep it aside.
- Now on every slice of bread spread mustard and top with 1 1 /2 ounces cheese and cover it with a second slice of bread.
- Now spread oil on bread and grill the 4 sandwiches on each side until cheese begins to melt.
- Now remove from the grill, open, and place a slice of watermelon.
- Close the sandwich and cut it in half. Serve.