Microwave is one of the easiest cooking tools to use and by that, we don't mean just to re-heat food. Besides ease of use, the other great advantage of cooking in a microwave is the time you save. It's the quickest way to whip up something delicious and different.
So if you're a beginner in the kitchen, have unexpected guests, or don't want to spend too much time stirring the pot, then a microwave is your knight in shining armor. Before you go ahead and try cooking with this, we bring to you a guide to understanding the different variants available in the market, how to use them and some tricks that will come in handy.
Tips & Tricks
We're sure you've all heard stories of messy microwave cooking and dreadful disasters. So these safety tips and tricks will come in handy. A microwave cooks by creating heat in the food so it's important you let the food rest for a while after you're done cooking. Allow the heat to transfer through and through and let the temperature to come down on its own. Also be sure to place the dish in the centre of the glass tray and use microwave friendly utensils only. It's ok to use paper towels, cardboard, and grease-proof paper. Use a slightly bigger dish, especially if you're baking because what you make will expand. Never use metal as it may cause the microwave to spark. Don't leave the dish open if you're cooking something with sauce in it as it will splatter and also be sure not to use aluminum foil to cover it.
There are so many great things a microwave can do and to prove that to you, we've picked out some absolutely phenomenal microwave recipes - brownie, cakes, cookies, fish, chocolate fudge and more. So go ahead and try them out for yourself.
Mac 'n' Cheese
This is a classic universal favourite, and the best part is you can whip it up in no time.
How to make it in microwave
1. Boil the pasta and in boiling, salted water for two minutes in the microwave and stir in intervals until the pasta becomes soft.
2. Make sure it is cooked.
3. Pour the milk and cheese and microwave for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until it has formed a creamy sauce.
4.To make it creamier, add a little more milk and cheese.
5. You can also add in diced vegetables, cooked meat or even just chilli powder for a change.
2. Microwaved Poached Eggs
Poached egg is a great topping on sandwiches, toast and many other quick breakfast items.
How to make in Microwave
1. Pour the water along with the vinegar in the mug. 2.Vinegar is optional, but it just helps the egg coalesce better.
3. Crack the egg open into the mug filled with water and vinegar.
4.Cover it with a microwavable lid and cook from 50-60% power for about a minute.
5.Remove the lid and enjoy! If you don't like your eggs mildly runny, microwave at higher power for 60 seconds, this will help hard-boil the egg more.
3. Oatmeal Cookie Dough Mug
Microwave recipes for cookies are always fun and easy.
How to Make it in a Microwave
1. Mix the coconut flour, baking powder and oats in a bowl.
2.Add sugar and milk and keep stirring and eventually add the egg white.
Keep stirring and mixing so that it is mixed and combined well.
3. Put in some chocolate chips and top the mug off with some more.
4. Microwave for about 90 seconds and check to see consistency.
5. Continue to microwave at 30-second intervals if it does not seem done.
4. 2-minute Microwavable Pizza
What if you could have pizza right from your microwave? Here's how.
How to Make in Microwave
1. Slice up the meat into small pieces.
2. Add ¼ cup of flour, ¼ tbsp. of baking soda and some salt.
3. Mix together and add milk and oil and mix again until it becomes slightly thick.
4. Add the marinara sauce over the batter and the shredded cheese along with the meat.
5. Microwave for 1-2 minutes and check if the entire mixture is cooked.
Enjoy a quick homemade pizza!
5. Carrot Halwa
Here is a microwave recipe for an Indian snack which is very simple.
How to Make it in Microwave
1. Mix the ghee and grated carrot and microwave for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the evaporated milk and microwave for about 10 minutes while stirring every couple of minutes.
3. Cook until the milk is completely blended into the mixture.
4. Add sugar and cardamom powder and mix again. Top it off with your favourite nuts for that extra crunch!
Enjoy eating and let us know your favourite recipe in the comments section below !