Onions are an indispensable ingredient in Indian cooking. Knead it in flour to fry the perfect fritters on a rainy day. Blend it for a smooth gravy, or just dice it over chaat for an additional flavour. Whatever the form, they make several dishes complete. However, did you know that onions are used since ancient times for treating headaches, heart disease and mouth sores?
Onions are a member of the same family from which garlic, shallots, leeks and chives are born- the Allium genus of flowering plants. Although every vegetable is healthy, onions come with secret benefits you probably didn't know-
Here are a few health benefits of onion to inspire you to add them to your daily nutrition-
- Heart health- Many studies have claimed that eating onion keeps heart-healthy as it reduces high blood pressure, inflammation and increased triglycerides. Its anti-inflammatory property decreases the blood clotting risk and keeps the cholesterol level under control.
- Fights cancer: Vegetables such as onion, garlic are from the allium genus family which is linked to reducing the risk of certain cancers including colon and stomach cancers.
- Controls blood sugar: Onion can be the best friend to people suffering from prediabetes or diabetes. Compounds found in onions like quercetin and sulfur compounds possess antidiabetic effects.
- Are antibacterial: Onions are also used to kill bacteria, they can fight with dangerous bacteria like bacillus cereus, Escherichia coli (E. coli), Pseudomonas Aeruginosa.
- Supports digestion: Onions are rich in prebiotics which can help to improve gut health. Consuming onions can help maintain bacterial balance in the stomach and enhance immunity power.