Greater Noida: As per authority, their drive to connect sewer lines has paid off. The Authority said that a lot of work has been done on sewer drainage system in the last two years which has reduced complaints related to sewer by about 80 per cent. The CEO of the Authority, Narendra Bhushan, has also directed to redress the remaining 20 per cent complaints at the earliest.
According to the data presented by the sewer department, Greater Noida Authority during the weekly review meeting, there were 270 complaints related to sewer in May 2020, the number of complaints related to breaking of plugs on sewer lines and connecting lines came down to 180 in July the same year. In May 2021, the number dropped further, leaving only 75 complaints in that month. In January 2022, this number reduced to 50. Now, the Authority is trying to bring these complaints to zero.
The Authority said that it has mainly worked at two levels to achieve this feat in less than two years. First, the lines were started by breaking the plugs where the lines were laid. Secondly, lines that were not interconnected were added.
If a gap of 100-50 meters was found in any line, then the line was connected to the houses of villages and sectors easily reaches the STP and it is treated and taken for irrigation work, which also saves groundwater.
Four STPs have been made by the Greater Noida Authority. The biggest STP is in Kasna. Its capacity is 137 MLD. At present, about 90 MLD sewer is being treated daily from this STP. About 5 MLD sewer is being treated daily from the STP located at Ecotech II. It can treat 15 MLD per day.
Moreover, the STP located at Ecotech III has a capacity of 20 MLD. At present about 12 MLD is being treated daily from this STP. 2 MLD sewer is being treated from STP located at Badlapur. Its capacity is also only two MLD. The treated water from these STPs is used for irrigation and construction.
Ashok Singh, a resident of Alpha one, greater Noida East, says, "Upon inspection, the Authority took note that the plugs in the sewer lines were closed. The issue has been resolved now by the Authority. We are happy with this development."