Dwarka: On the evening of June 26, 2022, a fire broke out in the vacant DDA land near Brahma CGHS Apartments, plot 7, sector 7. The fire spread quickly and smoke engulfed the residential area. The residents had to call the fire brigade. Post this incident, residents are afraid for their safety. Residents add that this was not the first incident of fire. Another incident was reported last week preceded by several similar incidents from April.
Dipankar Bose says, a resident of the Brahma CGHS says, “Frequent fire incidents had been coming up in recent past but what happened on June 26, 2022, was very dangerous. The fire started rising and by 7 pm, it spread greatly. Since it is open vacant land, several shrubs and bushes caught fire. A lot of smoke emerged making it difficult to breathe."
Vinod Kumar Garg, President of Brahma Apartments, says, “Such frequent fire incidents are a grave matter because it puts the safety and health of residents in danger. Many vehicles are parked adjacent to the wall and a lot of heavy electrical equipment can catch fire too. Moreover, the fire causes severe pollution releasing toxic gases, making it difficult for senior citizens and children to breathe."
Residents share that the reason for these fire incidents is that vendors have set up unauthorized shops on footpaths near the apartments. These vendors, according to residents, use the vacant land as open toilets and throw hazardous inflammatory material.
Munish Kundra, a resident, says, “Fire incidents have increased since April 2022. Vendors throw hazardous material which could be the cause of the fire. This is proving to be very dangerous for the residents of our society."
Bose says, "Some hutments are also situated here and a few potters sell their wares from the footpath. They dump waste material such as tires, plastic bags, and house waste which can cause a fire if a spark is provided by mistake by someone such as unextinguished cigarette butts. The high temperature only aids the fire-causing circumstances.”
Residents complain that despite several complaints, no action has been taken by DDA or the authorities concerned until now.
Bose says, “DDA workers inspect and clean the land-only one time a year but it doesn't solve any problem. The cleanup work should be done regularly to avoid such problems. People should also stop throwing waste material on this land. Because waste material catches fire and released toxic gases reach our society."
Manish Sharma, a resident, says, “The last big fire incident brought a lot of fume to our houses. I tweeted to Ajay Goyal, Chief Fire officer about the issue, and we filed a complaint about the incident. It’s high time that DDA takes some action regarding this."