Dwarka: A fire broke out on the night of November 2, 2022, in Sunny Valley Apartments, Sector 12. In the fire, two apartments were destroyed. According to the victims and the management of the society, the incident happened around 8:30 in the night.
As gathered, the fire was caught in the flat number B3 803 first in room and soon spread to the entire flat. The fire then also spread to flat number B3 903. One of the flat owners, Nishi Goel who is a patient and surviving through dialysis shared her pain to CitySpidey. She says, “This is unfortunate incident and we have no place to live. We are now in hunt for a rented flat today at any cost.”
Sumit Sachdeva, another one of the flat owners is still in a shock. While describing the series of events, he said that he switched on the AC in his room and left. After about 10 minutes, he heard there was a sound of blast. He opened the door and saw smoke in the room and flame in AC. He immediately tried to put off the fire with fire extinguisher but the effort went in vein as the fire was spread. “We used fire extinguisher but most of them were ineffective. I am in a shock and not in a condition to express more,” says he.
Also read: Fire in Narela, 2 killed, several injured
Management Committee members of the society shared that they noticed fire around 8:30 in the night and called the fire brigade. They evacuated people from other flats as well. As informed, fire brigade reached the society within 10 minutes and the fire was extinguished soon. Joint Secretary Mahesh Kumar, while describing what happened, said that while walking in the society premises, they heard sound of broken glass falling on the ground and saw some smoke. They rushed to that place and saw there was a fire. “Without wasting any time, we called the fire brigade and evacuated people from nearby flats. Fire brigade came and seized the fire in 10 minutes. Fortunately, no harm happened to anyone except the damage to the flats,” says Mahesh. He shared that the fire fighting system of the society is up to the mark but intensity of the fire was more and hence, they could not do much.
Some neighbours to the damaged flats shared that the fire fighting system was not that effective on the floor otherwise the fire could have been controlled earlier. Dilawar Singh from flat number B3 902 shared that the fire extinguisher cylinders they used were not effective.
As gathered from the officials of fire department, the incident happened due to short circuit. Management of the society is planning to have a mock drill for such situation and also a complete awareness program for the people there. They also shared to make the fire fighting system more robust and effective.